Tuesday, August 24, 2010

14 Days and Counting

I got the insulation sign off  yesterday!!!  The guest house is now oficially ready for drywall and plaster. I got a few estimates about a month ago when I was blissfully ignorant thinking that it would only take a week or so to get the ground dug up and utilities in. I absolutely must finish before the start of school September 7th. I called one of the drywall contractors, my first choice, and he told me that he wouldn't be able to get to it until next week. My second choice said probably Thursday and that the job would be complete by Saturday. I'm not sure if I beleive him or not. He is supposed to come by this afternoon to measure, hopefully he shows. I don't have any room for error. Even if he does come through as promised, I will only have about a week to do finish carpentry, paint, flooring and get in there. I'm not sure if I will make my goal.

I really need to make some final choices on finish. Up to this point I havn't taken much time to think about this stuff because I have been so preoccupied with the other aspects of the job.

I know that I will do wood flooring in the main space. I am tired of red oak in a natural finish. I like maple, but it is too soft. I was thinking of going with bamboo, but my builder friend said that it scratches easily, with 5 kids that obviously won't work. I do know for sure that I"ll do pre-finished wood flooring. I would like something in a nice reddish or cinnamony tone. Maybe I'll check out Lumber Liquidators tomorrow and see if they have any good deals.

I have no clue what direction I will head with wall color. I need to choose a color for the main part of the room and another color for the bath. I was thinking maybe white wainscotting with a blueish/greeninsh shade up above for the bath. Either that or a rich beige to compliment the Espresso bath furniture.

One thing is for sure. I am going to have to really focus on nailing down my choices by the weekend, as we will be going great guns next week to wrap this thing up before the start of school.

Let the race begin.





No comments:

Post a Comment